Long Island Prenuptial Attorneys | New York Postnuptial Agreement Lawyers
A prenuptial agreement is a carefully detailed written contract entered into by two people prior to marriage. The prenuptial agreement states the types of property each person owns, their debts, and specifies what each parties property rights will be after marriage. It also deals with issues of spousal maintenance, in the event of a divorce or legal separation, division of pensions or non-division of pensions and 401K plans.
A postnuptial agreement is a written agreement created by two people after they are married. It deals with the same issues as the prenuptial agreement.
Who Needs a Prenuptial Agreement
In the past it was assumed that only rich people would require prenuptial agreements. This is no longer the case. If you have children from a prior marriage a prenuptial agreement can protect the children’s rights. Prenuptial agreements can also be used to clarify rights and responsibilities of the parties to a marriage. These agreements prevent arguments and litigation in the event there is a divorce or death of one of the parties to the agreement.
Benefits of Having a Prenuptial Agreement
- It will protect your separate property rights.
- It allows you to leave assets in your estate to children from a prior relationship.
- It defines what is marital property and what is your separate property.
- It provides a clear and concise agreement should the parties get divorced or one of the parties die.
- It outlines how issues involving finances and property will be dealt with in the future.
- It reduces conflicts, attorney’s fees and simplifies issues in the event of a divorce or legal separation.
- It defines inheritance rights between the parties.
- It deals with whether you will have joint bank accounts or separate accounts.
Disadvantages of a Prenuptial Agreement
- It is not romantic!
- It must be negotiated a reasonable time before the parties get married.
- It requires the parties to the agreement to disclose all their assets and all of their debts and face issues involving division of assets, inheritance rights and spousal maintenance (alimony).
Long Island Prenuptial Attorneys
The Law Office of Elliot S. Schlissel has been drafting prenuptial and postnuptial agreements for over 30 years. We’ve represented numerous men and women with regard to the negotiation and execution of these agreements. No prenuptial or post-nuptial agreement prepared by the Law Office of Elliot Schlissel has ever been set aside by a court! Call us for a free consultation.
New York Postnuptial Agreement Lawyers
Contact us to discuss your case and our qualifications to represent you. Feel free to call toll free, any time, day or night, at 1-800-344-6431, or in Queens, Kings, New York, Richmond and the Bronx at 718-350-2802. You can also reach us in Nassau County or Suffolk County at 516-561-6645. We welcome your inquires.
Tags: attorneys new york, elliot s. schlissel, post nuptial agreements, contract law, family law, nuptial agreement, prenuptial agreement, postnuptial agreement, legal documents, writing agreement, long island, new york, legal separation, divorce, lawyers, get, attorneys, alimony, law, agreement, family, elliot, marriage